MI mission

Hey there!

Thanks for checking out my blog! Before you dive in, allow me to introduce myself.

My name is Mikayla Bouchard, I just finished my junior year at Michigan State University where I am majoring in Theatre and International Relations. Interesting combination, you say! I know, and I'm the first to admit it. I have a passion for relationships; the ones we see develop in a story onstage or on film and the relationships that drive society and public policy. I jump at the opportunity to combine expression with politics and here is one such opportunity!

I am blessed with the most amazing family and friends in the world. They have supported me in my every endeavor so when my dad, Mike Bouchard, announced his campaign for Governor, I was eager to do my part to help. This election comes at an integral point in both of our lives. I have seen my dad's career as a legislator, police officer and entrepreneur develop to the point where he is uniquely prepared to become our next Governor. At the same time, I near the end of my college education and look to begin a career of my own. Like many of my friends, I fear that the current status of Michigan and her economy will not provide the life and job I am looking for.

For those reasons and many others, I am bringing a new voice and perspective to this campaign. I want to introduce you to my dad and give you a behind the scenes look at our journey on the campaign trail. Along the way, I hope to meet and talk with many of you who also want to see a brighter future for our Great Lake State! Let's put an end to job loss, debt, corruption and moving vans heading out of Michigan. It's time we, as the next generation, make a difference in this next election. I encourage you to get to know the candidates. I'm sure that you will agree that Mike Bouchard is the best choice for Governor!

Mikayla

Friday, July 2, 2010

The Power of One.

            We have all heard the excuses. “I just couldn’t make it to the polls today”  “I don’t even know what’s on the ballot.” “It was raining!” or the worst of them all—“My vote doesn’t make a difference.” AH! Are you kidding? Your vote makes ALL the difference. So many things in the history of our world have been changed by one vote. Here are just a couple examples:

 In 1845, one vote brought Texas into the Union.

In 1868, one vote saved President Andrew Johnson from impeachment.

In 1875, one vote changed France from a monarchy to a republic.

In 1876, one vote gave Rutherford B. Hayes the presidency of the United States.

            I already applaud you for reading my blog—it means you are doing your research, following this campaign and becoming an informed voter for the August primary. Now, I challenge you to go one step further and spread the message to rock the vote. If you personally have not registered to vote, carve out some time in your day and visit the Secretary of States office. Ask your unregistered friends and family do the same! Not only will you leave happily knowing you are armed with the power and voice of a vote; but you will also see some pictures of the brilliant and beautiful lady that will be the next Lieutenant Governor, my dad’s running mate and current Secretary of State, Terri Lynn Land!
If you haven’t already guessed it, voting is something very important to me. The saying, “If you didn’t vote about it, you can’t complain about it” is something I live by. I will always respect a difference of informed opinions, but no opinion at all is a crime. Friends don’t let friends sit out. Here’s my call to you to get in the game and bring everyone you know with you! And how perfect that the first vote you can cast could be for Mike Bouchard, Republican candidate for governor!!

With my rant over, I will leave you with a quote from Alexander Woollcott,
“I'm tired of hearing it said that democracy doesn't work.  Of course it doesn't work.  We are supposed to work it.”
See you at the polls! 

Ps. In order to vote in the August 3rd Primary election you must register 30 days in advance. Get in to the SOS office by tomorrow, July 3, loves!