MI mission

Hey there!

Thanks for checking out my blog! Before you dive in, allow me to introduce myself.

My name is Mikayla Bouchard, I just finished my junior year at Michigan State University where I am majoring in Theatre and International Relations. Interesting combination, you say! I know, and I'm the first to admit it. I have a passion for relationships; the ones we see develop in a story onstage or on film and the relationships that drive society and public policy. I jump at the opportunity to combine expression with politics and here is one such opportunity!

I am blessed with the most amazing family and friends in the world. They have supported me in my every endeavor so when my dad, Mike Bouchard, announced his campaign for Governor, I was eager to do my part to help. This election comes at an integral point in both of our lives. I have seen my dad's career as a legislator, police officer and entrepreneur develop to the point where he is uniquely prepared to become our next Governor. At the same time, I near the end of my college education and look to begin a career of my own. Like many of my friends, I fear that the current status of Michigan and her economy will not provide the life and job I am looking for.

For those reasons and many others, I am bringing a new voice and perspective to this campaign. I want to introduce you to my dad and give you a behind the scenes look at our journey on the campaign trail. Along the way, I hope to meet and talk with many of you who also want to see a brighter future for our Great Lake State! Let's put an end to job loss, debt, corruption and moving vans heading out of Michigan. It's time we, as the next generation, make a difference in this next election. I encourage you to get to know the candidates. I'm sure that you will agree that Mike Bouchard is the best choice for Governor!

Mikayla

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Life is a Highway

….or at least it feels like it! 
Bandit relaxing between stops!

80 stops in 8 days!! This is absolutely crunch time and the Bouchards have all boarded buses (My mom with my brother and Secretary of State Land on one, and my dad, my pup Bandit, and I on the other!) to take Michigan by storm and get out the vote in this homestretch of the Primary Election. Day 1 started at 5:50 am in Jackson then over to G. Rap, K-Zoo, Battle Creek, Spring Arbor and everywhere in between. This is the part of campaigns I love. A chance to reach out and meet voters, talk issues and ask for their vote rather than ask for money. (Which the campaign would still very much appreciate, though!)
            Day 1 went off without a hitch featuring meetings at Home Builder Associations across the state, multiple picnics, a Tea Party event, and stops at local restaurants to hear people’s thoughts and answer their pressing questions. It was nice to end at home after the long day only for it to start again bright and early this morning. When we arrived in Frasier this morning, little did I know the vigor that stop would instill. We met Nina Sylvester former owner of Quality Die Sets Inc., and learned her story of being an automotive supplying cornerstone to out of business because of backwards banking policy, an over regulating government and toxic taxes for small businesses. Her daughter brought tears to the group as she said how heartbreaking it was to watch her mom, “a role-model for strong work ethic,” go from having such a successful business and being awarded the Female Entrepreneur of the Year to losing almost all hope as she struggles to find a job during her ongoing fight with banks. The scariest thing was that in the group assembled at the now empty factory, there were many more stories just like hers!
In the former Quality Die Sets factory

After leaving the factory, there was no feeling but that of determination to do something, anything to change the helplessness that I saw in people’s eyes. As my dad said, “I wish I could do something right now to help, but I just have to get there first.” The “getting there” is where I am putting my energy. The rest of the day was filled with stops in and around Lapeer County ranging from packed rooms of people who came out to meet my dad to spontaneous coffee house stops where many of the patrons excitingly said they had either sent in their absentee votes for my dad or were planning on voting for him! The rest of Day 2 is winding down as I type on our Bouchard/Land-bannered-bus and we drive home after two Tea Party stops in Brighton and Milford. The West Oakland Tea Party had almost 500 people attend! Bringing the day to a fabulous end, the group gave him a standing ovation as his speech came to a close. Hoping for more of that energy tomorrow! 
            I will leave you with this—the primary election normally turns out 25% of the electorate; of that probably half of the people will vote in the Republican primary. In a five way primary maybe 25% of that will choose our nominee. That means 25% of 13% can decide our next Governor. If you bring ten people to vote, and ask them to get ten people to do the same, I cannot stress how you can truly alter the outcome of this election. The primary is one week away. Lets get to work, get this done and help elect a Governor who is passionate about helping the people of the great state of Michigan.

At an editorial board in Kalamazoo
which later endorsed him!


Hope to see you in the next 6 days!