MI mission

Hey there!

Thanks for checking out my blog! Before you dive in, allow me to introduce myself.

My name is Mikayla Bouchard, I just finished my junior year at Michigan State University where I am majoring in Theatre and International Relations. Interesting combination, you say! I know, and I'm the first to admit it. I have a passion for relationships; the ones we see develop in a story onstage or on film and the relationships that drive society and public policy. I jump at the opportunity to combine expression with politics and here is one such opportunity!

I am blessed with the most amazing family and friends in the world. They have supported me in my every endeavor so when my dad, Mike Bouchard, announced his campaign for Governor, I was eager to do my part to help. This election comes at an integral point in both of our lives. I have seen my dad's career as a legislator, police officer and entrepreneur develop to the point where he is uniquely prepared to become our next Governor. At the same time, I near the end of my college education and look to begin a career of my own. Like many of my friends, I fear that the current status of Michigan and her economy will not provide the life and job I am looking for.

For those reasons and many others, I am bringing a new voice and perspective to this campaign. I want to introduce you to my dad and give you a behind the scenes look at our journey on the campaign trail. Along the way, I hope to meet and talk with many of you who also want to see a brighter future for our Great Lake State! Let's put an end to job loss, debt, corruption and moving vans heading out of Michigan. It's time we, as the next generation, make a difference in this next election. I encourage you to get to know the candidates. I'm sure that you will agree that Mike Bouchard is the best choice for Governor!

Mikayla

Friday, July 16, 2010

Crowning Moments

18 days until the Primary! Since my dad announced his candidacy last June the time seems to have literally flown by. So much has happened—we have met so many wonderful people, witnessed the change of issues facing Michigan and, in turn, spread the message of my dad’s policies to address those issues. These last few days have been especially eventful and I admit to being a bad blogette for not posting sooner. So lets begin at last Friday, the Miss USA Gala! I had such a wonderful time—Rima looked so beautiful and the energy was on a total high. I couldn’t find any pictures of us on the “Pink Carpet” but here are a couple from the evening. Check out my dad’s white jacket (that I helped pick out!) inspired by some classic Humphrey Bogart Hollywood glam.




The iGroup, lead by Tony DiMambro, helped transform the hotel into a posh atmosphere perfect for people to dance, mix and mingle, and munch on sweets from the Cupcake Station and Swirlberry. I had the great pleasure to meet Molly MacDonald from The Pink Fund and hear about her organization, which the gala was benefiting. The Pink Fund gives temporary financial aid to men and women suffering from Breast Cancer so they can focus the fight on the disease rather than finances. I was thrilled when Molly asked me to be an honorary Pink Fund ambassador and will support the project proudly! I also met talented local designer Katerina Bocci whose couture confections, modeled by her lovely daughter, wowed the crowd. We have so much talent in Michigan and the Gala only reaffirmed that fact. My dad said a few quick words to congratulate Rima, who he had previously worked with on a Women’s Self Defense Program last year, and wish her the best of luck in the upcoming Miss Universe contest.
When Friday’s activities finally wound to a close it was well into the early hours of Saturday. We took more of a nap that a night’s rest to be up by 5 am to catch a plane heading to beautiful Traverse City for the close of the Cherry Festival. The weather couldn’t have been more perfect for a day of “retail politics” along the parade route as we met voters and discussed our campaign platform. The response was more than encouraging as just about everyone declared how eager they are to elect a candidate like Mike Bouchard as Governor to get things done and change the course of our state. For Southeast voters, the final Republican debate Tuesday night was a prime time televised opportunity to hear each candidate’s platform in the forum moderated by Devin Scillian.
Speaking during the rally with Terry Lynn Land
and L. Brooks Patterson
Before the debate, held at Oakland University, a couple hundred people gathered at the Recreation Center across campus to eat some delicious Noodles and Co. pasta, rally for a Bouchard/Land administration and pump up my dad before the debate. When he walked into the room, greeted by a thunder of applause, cheers and FOX News cameras, he looked around at all the supporters and there was a moment when you could visibly see the passion of the people ignite a fire in his eyes. It was as if the long and tiring year-plus of campaigning was nothing but a walk in the park. We all have those snapshots of memories that are forever imprinted in your mind. For me, that will last as a timeless example of hard work well worth it. The night only got better as the debate began and turned into a very diverse discussion on a wide range of topics. Per usual—I thought my dad walked away with it but I wasn’t the only one! The poll on the WDIV website gave my dad an overwhelming victory…but see for yourself! If you missed it you can watch the debate here!


Finally, a big announcement came out of our campaign just recently. My dad took a firm stance on making Michigan Right to Work while simultaneously releasing a statewide ad on the subject. Check out the ad by clicking here. After looking at the facts and statistics about Right to Work versus non-Right to Work states, the evidence clearly shows that it has a contributing factor to unemployment. In order to become more competitive and revive our Michigan economy, we must allow people to get what they want—a job! As my dad says in his ad, “People want to work. Let’s give them the right to work.”  This issue has already brought in a wave of support from people all over the state that are eager to see Michigan once again become a thriving business environment. For more information on his position click the link above.
For now, the polls show us in a dead heat for first, the primary is days away and the wind is in our sails. All hands on deck! 

A banner we made for the rally where it was signed by supporters!