MI mission

Hey there!

Thanks for checking out my blog! Before you dive in, allow me to introduce myself.

My name is Mikayla Bouchard, I just finished my junior year at Michigan State University where I am majoring in Theatre and International Relations. Interesting combination, you say! I know, and I'm the first to admit it. I have a passion for relationships; the ones we see develop in a story onstage or on film and the relationships that drive society and public policy. I jump at the opportunity to combine expression with politics and here is one such opportunity!

I am blessed with the most amazing family and friends in the world. They have supported me in my every endeavor so when my dad, Mike Bouchard, announced his campaign for Governor, I was eager to do my part to help. This election comes at an integral point in both of our lives. I have seen my dad's career as a legislator, police officer and entrepreneur develop to the point where he is uniquely prepared to become our next Governor. At the same time, I near the end of my college education and look to begin a career of my own. Like many of my friends, I fear that the current status of Michigan and her economy will not provide the life and job I am looking for.

For those reasons and many others, I am bringing a new voice and perspective to this campaign. I want to introduce you to my dad and give you a behind the scenes look at our journey on the campaign trail. Along the way, I hope to meet and talk with many of you who also want to see a brighter future for our Great Lake State! Let's put an end to job loss, debt, corruption and moving vans heading out of Michigan. It's time we, as the next generation, make a difference in this next election. I encourage you to get to know the candidates. I'm sure that you will agree that Mike Bouchard is the best choice for Governor!

Mikayla

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

DAY 3

The Flint Coney Island makes a statement

If there is one thing that I have learned about the campaign trail, it’s that you never quite know what a day holds for you. No matter how thorough of a line-by-line you can refer to, as the saying goes, “When you make plans, God laughs.”  For example, I didn’t know that today’s very first stop would bring an unanticipated family reunion. I haven’t been to Flint, my dad’s birthplace, very often save for playing soccer against their high school back a few years. When we arrived at the Flint Original Coney Island we were greeted by a throng of people eager to sample the restaurant’s famous Coney Dogs they have been serving since 1912! Not only were the owners as generous and sweet as could be, but that was also where we met my Grandma Doe’s long lost cousin! As my dad sat down for an interview with the local ABC station, we chatted about the old family store, Sam’s Brothers in Bay City, and how the election was going. As we snapped some photos outside the restaurant, the owners handed us a box stuffed with probably 25 of their famous dogs! They. Were. Delicious. I only ate one but my dad finished off a whopping 3! (He said he would add on another 15 minutes of cardio to makeup for it) Needless to say, the fridge is still stocked with the Michigan favorite surely to be demolished over the course of the week.
From there we headed over to Treasures Restaurant in Owosso for a Town Hall. The restaurant, totally up my alley, also doubles as a vintage store! As my dad spoke to the crowd, I snuck away and perused the diverse collection of oldies ranging from WWII gear to old records to a retro Chanel ring! I love the one-of-a-kind finds vintage stores offer. You’re never quite sure if you’ll walk away empty-handed or with a new must-have item. As I returned to the Town Hall empty handed, it looked as if the voters had found their must-have candidate. His message of lowering taxes and streamlining government to mirror the private sector continues to resonate with people across the state.
Amidst an Alma interview

Alma, Mount Pleasant and Osceola County were next on the list with a brief oil change in between. The miles are adding up as we get to our goal of 80 stops in 8 days. Hoping the votes are too! Tonight we end in Bellaire for some brief r & r before another full day. As we drive over, after a laughter-filled dinner in at Da Dawg House restaurant in Cadillac on E M-115, I must give them a plug. Their food is absolutely terrific (splurge the calories on the pie!), the atmosphere a fun combination of firefighting and hunting paraphernalia and the hard working owners are fantastic to talk with—new supporters too! As you travel up to northern Michigan it’s the perfect place to stop in and refuel!
With all the running around, events and too much good food, a full night sleep is definitely on the horizon. Tomorrow starts early! Bon Soir! 
With my little Bandit outside Cadillac's Da Dawg House!