MI mission

Hey there!

Thanks for checking out my blog! Before you dive in, allow me to introduce myself.

My name is Mikayla Bouchard, I just finished my junior year at Michigan State University where I am majoring in Theatre and International Relations. Interesting combination, you say! I know, and I'm the first to admit it. I have a passion for relationships; the ones we see develop in a story onstage or on film and the relationships that drive society and public policy. I jump at the opportunity to combine expression with politics and here is one such opportunity!

I am blessed with the most amazing family and friends in the world. They have supported me in my every endeavor so when my dad, Mike Bouchard, announced his campaign for Governor, I was eager to do my part to help. This election comes at an integral point in both of our lives. I have seen my dad's career as a legislator, police officer and entrepreneur develop to the point where he is uniquely prepared to become our next Governor. At the same time, I near the end of my college education and look to begin a career of my own. Like many of my friends, I fear that the current status of Michigan and her economy will not provide the life and job I am looking for.

For those reasons and many others, I am bringing a new voice and perspective to this campaign. I want to introduce you to my dad and give you a behind the scenes look at our journey on the campaign trail. Along the way, I hope to meet and talk with many of you who also want to see a brighter future for our Great Lake State! Let's put an end to job loss, debt, corruption and moving vans heading out of Michigan. It's time we, as the next generation, make a difference in this next election. I encourage you to get to know the candidates. I'm sure that you will agree that Mike Bouchard is the best choice for Governor!

Mikayla

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Brought to you Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue

          Fireworks lighting up the sky, flags flying everywhere, parades, barbeques, sunburns, family, friends and country. What is not to love about the 4th of July?! It’s the perfect opportunity to don your favorite sailor-looking outfit with a splash of red and enjoy a holiday in the sun. There has always been something about streets lined with our stars and stripes that gets me every year. If I could have it my way, the same enthusiasm of flag flying would exist all year round.
         From the time I was a little girl, our 4th of July traditions have been pretty consistent and this year was no exception. Early mornings with an on-the-go breakfast to be quickly worked off through smiles and waves on multiple parade routes. My mom and I traveled over to Ypsilanti (stopping at some treasure-ridden yard sales on the way!) to walk with the Willow Run Tea Party, an awesome and energetic crowd very supportive of my dad and such fun to spend our time with! I especially loved our ride on the float after the parade ended as we broke out into spontaneous tunes that our banjo-extraordinaire most skillfully supplied. My dad, who I didn’t see until we met back on Sunday night, hit numerous Tea Party rallies, parades and meetings around the state on his own two-day circuit. 

When the family was once again reunited on Sunday, the campaign family joined us as well. My mom made an delicious dinner for the crew and we spent the night relaxing, recounting some memorable campaign stories and talking about the whirlwind that is the next couple of weeks. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. This group is extraordinary. We get a lot of work done but have a great time doing it and that makes all the difference.
           This week was kicked off with another packed parade in Clawson Monday morning and then it was back to the grind! Should be an exciting next few days—I’m particularly looking forward to the Miss USA Gala this Friday night to personally congratulate our girl, Rima Fakih! The Gala is sure to combine glitz and glam “with a touch of pink” as it is benefiting The Pink Fund that supports the fight against Breast Cancer. Pictures to come! We’re also getting a huge order of yard signs in on Friday—stop in, say hi, and grab one while they’re hot!

xx