MI mission

Hey there!

Thanks for checking out my blog! Before you dive in, allow me to introduce myself.

My name is Mikayla Bouchard, I just finished my junior year at Michigan State University where I am majoring in Theatre and International Relations. Interesting combination, you say! I know, and I'm the first to admit it. I have a passion for relationships; the ones we see develop in a story onstage or on film and the relationships that drive society and public policy. I jump at the opportunity to combine expression with politics and here is one such opportunity!

I am blessed with the most amazing family and friends in the world. They have supported me in my every endeavor so when my dad, Mike Bouchard, announced his campaign for Governor, I was eager to do my part to help. This election comes at an integral point in both of our lives. I have seen my dad's career as a legislator, police officer and entrepreneur develop to the point where he is uniquely prepared to become our next Governor. At the same time, I near the end of my college education and look to begin a career of my own. Like many of my friends, I fear that the current status of Michigan and her economy will not provide the life and job I am looking for.

For those reasons and many others, I am bringing a new voice and perspective to this campaign. I want to introduce you to my dad and give you a behind the scenes look at our journey on the campaign trail. Along the way, I hope to meet and talk with many of you who also want to see a brighter future for our Great Lake State! Let's put an end to job loss, debt, corruption and moving vans heading out of Michigan. It's time we, as the next generation, make a difference in this next election. I encourage you to get to know the candidates. I'm sure that you will agree that Mike Bouchard is the best choice for Governor!

Mikayla

Thursday, July 29, 2010

"Stairway to Heaven"










Nothing tops our Michigan views!
Day 4 of the 8-day extravaganza and it was a sweet one. Literally. It began with an opportunity to see my mom, Pam, and youngest brother! Bandit was especially excited to see them and be able to run around a little bit as my dad addressed a large statewide group of individuals looking to make a difference in their community and help those the troubled economy hits the hardest. After his speech our great Secretary of State and her husband joined us for a light breakfast before we once again boarded our separate buses and parted ways. Even for the few minutes we were together, though it was nice to be able to see family face to face instead of playing phone tag and trading voicemails.

A rare joint photo of the whole group before
we split up head off on the second half of the tour!

See what I mean?!
Amongst the sweets with my new clutch in hand!
From there we headed to Gaylord for an interview and handshakes at the Sugarbowl Restaurant, stopped in to the attached collectables store (where I picked up an adorable $5 vintage clutch!) and then over to the must-stop-shop, the Alpine Chocolate Haus. When I said, “sweet,” this is what I meant. Even though they have an unfair advantage playing on every girl’s weakness, I must proclaim them the stop of the day! Not only did they have every possible indulgence in milk, dark or sugar-fee chocolate, but they gave us a tour of the factory! Heading up to the factory you pass a door painted “Stairway to Heaven.” Indeed! I started calling the owner Willy Wonka as he showed us the chocolate creams being dipped and the cooling “Pure Michigan” chocolate bars produced in his little slice of heaven! His store is a great example of the necessity of small businesses. Not only do they represent 80% of jobs in Michigan but they create products second to none with creativity, ingenuity and the ambition to expand the company by delivering better goods and services. The case is also true with the great people at Reeds on the River in Tawas City. They are constantly fighting too much red tape as they try to start and grow a business in a state whose tax structure is anything but friendly.
In true 'I Love Lucy' style!
Michigan's purest treat!

            Those principles of cutting taxes, reforming regulation and reducing government were the focus of our last stop at the Gladwin County Tea Party meeting. The full hall spent almost two hours with my dad hearing his qualifications and asking him questions just like an in-depth job interview. And he agreed—that’s what a campaign should be; an examination of each candidate and deciding which one has the best resume/platform to be hired. In the end, our elected officials represent and work for us. The Tea Party certainly hasn’t forgotten that and more than one person said my dad earned the support of the room by the end of the evening. Even Michael Patrick Shields, statewide syndicated radio host, said that his resume is ideal to be the next Governor and with his running mate, Terri Lynn Land, it’s “as good as a one-two punch!”  

Currently heading to a 24-hour gym to work off some of the chocolate and then catch up on some sleep. Sweetest of dreams!