MI mission

Hey there!

Thanks for checking out my blog! Before you dive in, allow me to introduce myself.

My name is Mikayla Bouchard, I just finished my junior year at Michigan State University where I am majoring in Theatre and International Relations. Interesting combination, you say! I know, and I'm the first to admit it. I have a passion for relationships; the ones we see develop in a story onstage or on film and the relationships that drive society and public policy. I jump at the opportunity to combine expression with politics and here is one such opportunity!

I am blessed with the most amazing family and friends in the world. They have supported me in my every endeavor so when my dad, Mike Bouchard, announced his campaign for Governor, I was eager to do my part to help. This election comes at an integral point in both of our lives. I have seen my dad's career as a legislator, police officer and entrepreneur develop to the point where he is uniquely prepared to become our next Governor. At the same time, I near the end of my college education and look to begin a career of my own. Like many of my friends, I fear that the current status of Michigan and her economy will not provide the life and job I am looking for.

For those reasons and many others, I am bringing a new voice and perspective to this campaign. I want to introduce you to my dad and give you a behind the scenes look at our journey on the campaign trail. Along the way, I hope to meet and talk with many of you who also want to see a brighter future for our Great Lake State! Let's put an end to job loss, debt, corruption and moving vans heading out of Michigan. It's time we, as the next generation, make a difference in this next election. I encourage you to get to know the candidates. I'm sure that you will agree that Mike Bouchard is the best choice for Governor!

Mikayla

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

West Side Story

Last Thursday the trail led us to Grand Rapids for another debate.  This debate featured only the boys from the Grand Old Party (minus Rick Snyder, of course, as he dropped out of all of the debates).  It was a fun ride over with Momma Bouchard as we rocked out to Queen (see this week's Trail Mix!) and sipped on McD’s Sweet Teas. After a 2 1/2 hour drive we got to the beautiful G. Rap campus of Grand Valley. Such a lovely school! As much as I love to brag about my Spartans, seeing other campuses around the state like GVSU, U of M, Hillsdale, OU, LSSU, Wayne State...(the list goes on!) makes me think how lucky we are to have such awesome higher ed schools right here in Michigan. Besides in-state tuition, who doesn’t love being able to come home to do laundry and eat a well-rounded meal every few weekends!
So back to the debate! We got there about an hour before show time to wish my dad a quick “good luck!”  We found him in true Mike Bouchard form, reviewing a few notes, looking as cool as a cucumber, while listening to Sly and the Family Stone “I Wanna Take You Higher” as a pregame warm-up. When we finally took our seats we realized that the staging of the debate was not conducive to quality sightlines for everyone in the audience (says the theatre major in me). In order to film the debate, they had the candidates stand on angle so they only faced half the audience but allowed for stronger camera shots. Sitting front row in the ‘I-can-hear-more-than-I-can-see’ section was a minor bummer but quickly revealed its perks as I met and struck up a conversation with Lauren George, Tom George’s daughter. I knew we would have a lot in common when she mentioned her love for all things vintage, but was very delighted to discover our mutual passion for the theatre! She just finished studying costume design at NYU, how cool! Every good actor knows, the designers are important to keep happy or you may walk onstage wearing some dreadful duds versus gorgeous garb! As Mrs. George remarked—how amazing would it be to one day work on the same project?! It was wonderful to talk to her.  Even though we are in different camps, we have a lot in common, most specifically that we want to get involved and make a difference in the future of our state!
The debate itself, broadcasted on WOOD TV, lasted an hour with continuous involvement from an online audience asking questions via facebook and twitter. At first, I thought it would be an interesting forum with some pretty original questions. As it went on, however, it became apparent the questions were too similar yielding a conversation that lacked as much diversity as I think voters unfamiliar with the candidates would have liked.  Overall though, I thought it was a decent debate, certainly more on topic than the last and without the attacks and fireworks. Who claimed the win? I would say my dad. That probably sounds predictable but I truly thought his answers were more substantive, to the point, and better articulated than the rest. My favorite moments happened during the mic test before the debate officially began and the cameras were rolling. The levels on my dad’s microphone needed the most adjustment and the unsuspecting audience soon witnessed some free standup comedy as he cracked jokes and lightened the mood before the heavy policy talk began. One woman mentioned how she loved to see that he had a good sense of humor to go along with his serious diplomatic side. I agree—I think that the next Governor needs to be someone that the people not only respect but also like. Michigan has endured political scandals for too long, as my dad would say, “it’s time for a Sheriff to clean things up!” 

Ciao Bella!