MI mission

Hey there!

Thanks for checking out my blog! Before you dive in, allow me to introduce myself.

My name is Mikayla Bouchard, I just finished my junior year at Michigan State University where I am majoring in Theatre and International Relations. Interesting combination, you say! I know, and I'm the first to admit it. I have a passion for relationships; the ones we see develop in a story onstage or on film and the relationships that drive society and public policy. I jump at the opportunity to combine expression with politics and here is one such opportunity!

I am blessed with the most amazing family and friends in the world. They have supported me in my every endeavor so when my dad, Mike Bouchard, announced his campaign for Governor, I was eager to do my part to help. This election comes at an integral point in both of our lives. I have seen my dad's career as a legislator, police officer and entrepreneur develop to the point where he is uniquely prepared to become our next Governor. At the same time, I near the end of my college education and look to begin a career of my own. Like many of my friends, I fear that the current status of Michigan and her economy will not provide the life and job I am looking for.

For those reasons and many others, I am bringing a new voice and perspective to this campaign. I want to introduce you to my dad and give you a behind the scenes look at our journey on the campaign trail. Along the way, I hope to meet and talk with many of you who also want to see a brighter future for our Great Lake State! Let's put an end to job loss, debt, corruption and moving vans heading out of Michigan. It's time we, as the next generation, make a difference in this next election. I encourage you to get to know the candidates. I'm sure that you will agree that Mike Bouchard is the best choice for Governor!

Mikayla

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Policy with a side of Personality

            A week in the office! That means lots of phone time and fundraising. I must say that my least favorite thing about campaigning is raising money. I’m the girl that hated asking people for rides to soccer practice, let alone calling up someone and asking them to donate their hard earned money. Sadly, it is a completely necessary thing when running for office, especially statewide (if you want to help out and donate anything from $10 to $10,000, I would love it!! Click here!). The thing that makes it tolerable, however, is being at the headquarters with our campaign team. It’s a blast. The energy of our crew is totally fresh, intelligent, vibrant and motivated!

The hours that a campaign demands can get very long-g-g, indeed. You eat lots of chicken dinners, shake more hands than you can count, and knock on more doors than a deliveryman. There are some days that I’d like nothing more than to just lay in bed watching Carey Grant films. But the issues facing this election cycle and the policies in our platform motivate us all to push forward. This campaign has been different from any that I have ever worked on. I think that can be attributed to the cohesiveness of the group as a whole. The sarcastic humor thrown back and forth, the nicknames that have somehow stuck (“captain absentee”), and the games that spur competition while we work (“office challenge”) all help keep energy high as we move through the frenetic pace of a campaign day. For some, this is the first campaign they have worked on and they are eagerly learning the process. Others, are seasoned pros. At the end of the day, I leave the office thinking that our campaign team has morphed into a pretty cool family. We all have very different personalities and are talented in our own ways, but it makes for a perfect chemistry as we work towards a common goal.

From the beginning, my dad has said that the reason he is running for Governor is for Michigan families. It makes sense then that our campaign starts and ends with family! Family is the reason we got in this and family is the reason we are going to win this. How timely that Sunday is a day to celebrate our dads! Papa Bouchard will probably just request a relaxed day of grilling out and a movie (Braveheart, Dad?).  It should be the perfect way to recharge for busy, back-in-the-mix Monday with a wild week to follow. However you celebrate with your family, I wish you a wonderful and restful day!
xoxo